[IDV #ASK-301176]: IDV - filepaths feature request

Hi Dan-

> > Institution: Department of Meteorology, University of Utah
> > Package Version: 2.0RC3
> > Operating System: Red Hat Linux 64-bit
> > Hardware Information: AMD 64X2 processor, 2Gb RAM
> > Inquiry: Is there any way you can implement general file paths, instead of
> > specific file paths? For example, if I have my data  and my xidv files in
> > home/dtyndall/idv, I would much rather have IDV try to open up the data
> > files from ./ instead of /home/dtyndall/idv. I'm currently running into
> > problems if I try to move the files over to another user or a completely
> > different computer network.

We just implemented something to address this which is available in
our nightly build at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/release/nightly

When you save off a bundle, there are a couple of options now
that let you change the paths for the data files:

-  The "Save with relative path" option will save the bundle
with a pointer relative to the location of the bundle.  It will
give the option to edit the path of a particular file.  So,
you can save these with relative paths or absolution paths.

- The "Enable user to change data" allows you to save bundles
so that the user will be prompted to select the files that
can be changed.  When the bundle is loaded in, the user is
prompted for new paths.

If you'd like to give this a spin and give us feedback, we'd
appreciate it.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: ASK-301176
Department: Support IDV