[IDV #ORG-580351]: IDV - importing image-like data from Metop-A

Hi HP-

> Institution: EUMETSAT
> Package Version: 2.1RC2
> Operating System: Windows XP
> Hardware Information: Java: home: C:\\Program Files\\IDV_2.1RC2\\jre version:
> 1.5.0_06 j3d:1.3.2 fcs (build12)
> Inquiry: Hi Don and/or Jeff
>
> I imagine you are awfully busy with end-of-year chores, not the least with
> reading the 2.1 release. Nevertheless I dare to pose a problem

I guess we were really busy because this slipped through the cracks!

> With the commissioning of our first polar satellite progressing very fast
> sensible data start to flow in. For the time being it would be nice to
> integrate image-type data sets in IDV. I thought of 2 fast-track ways to do
> this.
>
> 1.Through regular lat-lon images using .ximg metadata. Unfortunately among
> the many tools develop/used in the project I have not found yet (I keep
> ears/eyes open) one that would offer me this export option. The closest I
> have come is Mercator projected imagery, but I do not see how this could be
> navigated. Also this option carries a coloured map with it in the data-free
> areas, which among other things would hamper merging with other data sets.

Projections will be problematic.  Currently, we only use lat/lon images.

> 2.Through a csv-type file. I attach the a file with a couple of lines copied
> from the sample I have at hand. I found a short bit of information about the
> use of csv-type data set in the User Guide. But its use appears to be for
> point data only. Promptly, when reading it in it provides no image type
> display. Also it has problems in interpreting the radiance values.

At present we only handle point data as text, but are looking at
ASCII grids as you see from the recent idvusers discussions.

If I put the following lines at the top of the file (removing the
first line already there):

(Longitude,Latitude) -> (radiance)
Longitude,Latitude,radiance

I can read the file in using the "I'm still feeling lucky" option
(which reads it as a VisAD adapter).  Then, I use the Any Field
formula to select a Color Shaded Display and select the field
for that data source.

> Any idea on a way forward based on the above. Or (as usual), did I miss
> something in the Guide or during the workshop?

We need to make adding the metadata interactive, but for now,try
editing the files and see how that works for you.

Don

Ticket ID: ORG-580351
Department: Support IDV