[IDV #FHT-321751]: IDV imageserver

> What I am trying to do is generate images that can be requested
> across a 9600 baud satphone to the King Air.  I currently
> use a cgi-bin script to kick off idv to generate the image.
> The image consists of a satellite image, composite nexrad, the
> location of a satellite pass, and the King Air flight track.
>
> There is a lot of overhead in starting up IDV.  The request
> frequently times out, or we loose our satellite connection,
> before we get the image generated or uploaded.

The start up time is a killer. The biggest problem is just loading in all of
the
java libraries.

> I am also looking at seeing whether the -oneinstanceport
> may help the response time.  Also, there are -server and -connect
> options that I don't understand.

Ignore the -server and -connect  arguments. They are for the collaboration
facility.

The one -instanceport does work pretty well. Starting up the second IDV
is very quick when running with the oneinstanceport.  You could use this along
with the isl to tell the idv to load in a bundle and write an image. You would
need to have a cgi that fires off the idv and then waits until the image has
been written.  The waiting is the problem because the idv that runs will
pass its arguments to the initial idv and then quit. It doesn't return
anything.

This is where the synchronous nature of the imageserver is useful. Maybe
we need a combination of the imageserver along with the oneinstanceport.
Or your cgi could do something like:

-Jeff

Ticket ID: FHT-321751
Department: Support IDV