[IDV #ZBV-533582]: IDV - ECMWF GRIB fields - unknown units for Z/PV

HP-

> Good to see back in full stride in the new year.

Almost in full stride.  I got food poisoning on my last trip
and I'm still not up to 100%.  Getting there, though.

> > FYI, the problem is that the grib tables specify the units with a +
> > in the exponent:
> >
> > K m+2 kg-1 s-1
> >
> > which we were not handling.  In reality, the + is not really
> > standard and I'm going to see if Robb will change the tables.
>
> I somehow thought that the + might be the culprit after having examined
> metadata from "US gribs". Anyway, if it is not really standard, somebody
> competent should inform ECMWF? I will ask advice from the EUMETSAT guru,
> Simon Elliott, who also sits in the relevant WMO code body.

The problem is the way Robb encoded the units into the table, not
the standard itself.  The grib tables in FM 92 list the parameters
appropriately.  I've asked Robb to change the tables, even though
we handle the non-standard format.

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention.

Don

Ticket ID: ZBV-533582
Department: Support IDV