[IDV #CSQ-180681]: IDV - re: dbz isosurface colored by

Hi David-

> Institution: ncar/ral
> Package Version: 2.1
> Operating System: Linux
> Hardware Information: Java: home: /home/uaedb/IDV_2.1/jre version: 1.5.0_06
> j3d:1.3.1
> Inquiry: I have a "simple" netcdf file with radar reflectivity, and would
> like to make a 3-d surface colored by height, but the height
> variable is just a one-dimensional variable.

Sorry for the delay in responding - I was out of town last week.

At present, there's no way of doing this out of the box.  The color by
feature needs a separate variable on the same domain as the radar grid.
We do have a Java method that extracts the pressure from a domain
with Pressure as the vertical dimension.  One could create a copy
of this that would do something similar for Height and then
you would have your grid.

A couple of notes about this file.  The height unit should be "km"
instead of "KM".  Althought we handle this, "km" is the correct
abbreviation.  Also, doing an isosurface of sparse data like radar
is very compute intensive as you've probably found out.

Sorry I don't have a solution for this.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: CSQ-180681
Department: Support IDV