[IDV #DAA-582792]: IDV - Retrieving Level 2 NEXRAD Data...

Hi Jacob,

> Inquiry: From the thredds catalog, I have found a directory that contains a
> live level 2 NEXRAD
> data feed.  I have also found a way to view these live level 2 data files in
> the IDV.  The
> data comes in through the following catalog:
>
> http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalog/nexrad/level2/catalog.html
>
> Once I go to this url, I then have the option to choose a particular NEXRAD
> site.
> When I choose a NEXRAD site, I can manually download the latest volume scan
> and
> then view the volume scan in the IDV through the Data Source Chooser.
> Is there a way which the IDV can conduct a live polling (auto-download) of
> these
> Level 2 NEXRAD data files for a chosen NEXRAD site?

Unfortunately not (at least right now). Though there is a link in the catalog
called "latest" it really isn't the latest like the "latest" entries for
models. The catalogs
are generated dynamically and the absolute link to the most recent file is used
for the latest link. This is different for the model catalogs where the IDV
gets a relative
link that it uses to ask for the latest model.

Anyways, beyond the long winded explanation this is something top on our todo
list for our interactions with the Unidata Thredds group (which does the
catalogs).

-Jeff

Ticket ID: DAA-582792
Department: Support IDV