[IDV #WHD-864047]: IDV - No 3D Display selections showing up from the RUC Model...

Hi Jacob-

I'm sorry for the delay in responding to this issue. Unfortunately,
the answer is not straightforward.

> Hey, I am returning your message from last week.  I have found the
> right video driver, but there is a continued problem.  I have a 64 bit
> processor, so I had to find the right video driver to download from the
> nvidia website.  I did find what appears to be the correct driver and it is
> labeled on the web site as:
> NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-9629-pkg2.run
>
> After downloading the driver, I tried to install it, but before the
> installation screen opened, I received an error message and it said:
>
> "ERROR:  You appear to be running an X server; please exit X before
> installing."
>
> I tried to resolve this by finding a way to exit the X server.  I followed
> some advice that I found on the internet.  Someone said by holding
> Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, I would be taken to a black screen where I could type
> "telinit 3" and then try the installation.  However, this did not work
> either, by doing that, I was unable to even get back to desktop and just
> made a whole new problem, so I stopped before I went too far.  So, I am back
> to the beginning, just trying to find a way to install this driver.

If you press Ctrl-Alt-F1, you will get to a prompt that
has no X server running.  From there, you can log in as
root.

To stop the X server after that, run:

init 3

> What can I do to get this video driver installed?  I really appreciate your
> time, have a great day.

Since you are running Fedora Core 6, you can't just run
the installer.  It has not been updated to be compatible with
FC6.  It does work with FC5.

However, if you still want to try this, you can follow the
steps in the thread at:

where they talk about extracting the installer, then
editing one of the .h files.

Another problem is that it will not automatically configure
your xorg.conf file.  Here's another link that explains how
to do that manually:

http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/1.0-8776/README/chapter-03-section-02.html

Sorry I can't be of much more help than that.

Don

Ticket ID: WHD-864047
Department: Support IDV