[IDV #QIG-697320]: 3d

Hi Michael-

> Thanks for being so helpful.  I have 2 questions.
>
> 1. Is there any way to make the continental map outlines
> thicker and black?  Right now, they are thin and neon green.

If you bring up the Background Map Control (click on the
Blue name in the legend or click on the Display Controls
tab in the Dashboard), you will see where you can set the
color and width for the map.  You can also set the positioning
in the box under the Display tab of the Map control.

> 2. My global data has longitudes: 1.4, 4.2, 7.0, ..., 355.8.
> When I plot over Africa, I get a black line around 0 degrees
> longitude.
> Can this gap in the plot be avoided within IDV or do I need to
> alter
> my original netcdf data?

Projections seams are problematic.  There's no way to indicate that
the next value after 355.8 should be 1.4.  You might try turning
on Fast Rendering under the Edit->Properties menu of the display
control for your plot to see if that makes any difference.  That
avoids the code that adjusts for projection seams, but might
introduce other problems since you are not in the native projection.
Going from -180 to 180 in the file would solve the problem over
Africa, but would create problems over the date line (although
presumably canopy heights are not a big factor there. ;-)).

Don Murray

> Thanks,
> Michael
>
> On Oct 24, 2006, at 3:59 PM, Unidata IDV Support wrote:
>
> > Hi Mike-
> >
> >> Thanks.  I was able to make the plot, although it really didn't
> >> look 3D.
> >> I would need to view the map from an angle I guess to get the 3d
> >> appearance.
> >
> > Oops, I forgot to add a step.  Presumably, your canopy heights are
> > pretty low.  The default range for the IDV map display is 0 to 16 km,
> > thus things look squished.  It does not autoscale by default.
> > So, you just need to change the vertical scale.  You can do this
> > by clicking on the little scale icon (looks like a comb) in the
> > Viewpoint toolbar on the left of the display or through the
> > View->Viewpoint->Vertical Scale menu, or the View->Properties
> > dialog under the Vertical Scale tab.
> >
> > Don
> >

> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: QIG-697320