[IDV #FSO-119762]: Generating bundle files

Hi Bruce,

> You don't know me, but I'm told you're the guy to talk to for my
> particular issue.

Maybe.

> My team and I are developing a way to remotely process archived data
> and visualize the result.  We are looking into having the processing
> software generate an IDV bundle or jnlp file from a template
> appropriate for displaying the data via an OPeNDAP datasource and a
> default display suitable for initial result viewing.  A link to the
> bundle or jnlp file would be emailed to the user when processing is
> complete.  The issue is that the xml bundle is fairly cryptic, and I
> have not been able to locate documentation describing the minimum
> elements required to initialize IDV without exception.  Can some
> elements for a display be omitted and left to IDV to figure out?  The
> ability to generate a minimal bundle file is key to generating
> templates for generic data types.  Would you be able to provide any
> guidance?

If all you want to do is to start up the IDV and load in a given data source
you can generate a jnlp file that has a command line argument -data <opendap
url>
The THREDDS group does this on our motherlode server. e.g., the page:
http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalog/model/NCEP/DGEX/CONUS_12km/catalog.html?dataset=NCEP/DGEX/CONUS_12km/DGEX_CONUS_12km_20060914_0600.grib2
at the bottom under "Viewers" has a link:
"Integrated Data Viewer (IDV) (webstart)"

Now, if you want to start up the IDV with the data loaded and with displays
created you can
create an example bundle with some data source and the displays you want. Save
this off, e.g,
as template.xidv

Now, we don't encourage users to edit bundles but...
Near the top of the bundle you should see something like:
<string><![CDATA[/upc/share/metapps/test/data/grids/03061212_eta.nc]]></string>
But with your open dap url. Change that to some templated format. e.g.:
<string><![CDATA[${THE_OPENDAP_URL}]]></string>

Now, your generated jnlp can have a command line argument that is a url that
backs back
to your server and contains the actual opendap url as an argument. It would
simply do
the substitution inthe template.xidv and deliver that back to the user.

-Jeff

Ticket ID: FSO-119762
Department: Support IDV