[IDV #HYD-141478]: IDV - selecting default display type and labeling image from a formula/Jython routine

HP-

> Institution: EUMETSAT
> Package Version: 2.1b1
> Operating System: os.name:Windows XP; os.arch:x86; os.version:5.1;
> Hardware Information: java.vendor:Sun Microsystems Inc.;
> java.version:1.5.0_06; java.home:C:\\Program Files\\IDV_2.1b1\\jre;
> j3d.version:1.3.2 fcs (build12); j3d.vendor:Sun Microsystems, Inc.;
> j3d.renderer:OpenGL;
> Inquiry: Hi
>
> The ongoing discussion with Tom Whittacker on coding RGB composites  in Jython
> gives raise to 2 additional questions:
>
> 1. When using a formula/Jython combination how can I have the Display type
> (2 Color (RGB) Image in this case) selected as the default?

In the Formula Editor dialog, under the Advanced section you can set the
display types for your formula.  In the Field Selector, right click
on the formula in the Fields list and select Edit Formula.  In the
dialog, if the Advanced portion is not displayed, click on the little
arrow to expand it.  Select the "Use selected" radio button and then
click the "All off" button.  Then, expand the Imagery category (click
the + icon and select the "3 Color (RGB) Image".  That way, you will
only have that display (plus the omnipresent Omnni Control) for
selections.

> 2. How can I put a label on the created image(s), i.e. free text and
> date/time stamp?

First, open the Edit->Preferences dialog and select the Main Display
tab.  On that page, check the Show Display List item, then press the
Apply button, then OK.  If you have an image displayed in the main
window, you will see a legend at the bottom of the screen.
Unfortunately, at this point there is no way to automatically set
the text, but you can change it manually by using the Edit->Properties
menu of the Display Control for the image and changing the Label
parameter.  If there is a time associated with the image, it will be
automatically appended to the label.  We will be enhancing the labelling
feature in future releases, so if you have suggestions on improvements,
let us know.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: HYD-141478
Department: Support IDV