[IDV #REG-431510]: IDV - Applying a new colour table

Hi HansPeter,

> I have made the attached colour table that enhances the cold temperature
> (measured in K)
> of the M8 10.8 channel. It enhances the range from 323K to 193K, the warmer
> temperature
> range in grey shades and the colder one in colours.
>
> When applying the table I encounter a unexpected  difficultiy, however. When
> applying it
> directly to the image displayed with the default grey scale, the various
> breakpoints used
> for its construction get changed and consequently the colour do not reflect
> the intended
> temperature values
>
> Only when I first reset the range of the default grey scale to the range
> 323-193 and then
> apply my colour table do I get the correct rendering.
>
> I would have expected the direct application of the colour table would do the
> full job.
> Is there something wrong with my colour table?

There is nothing wrong with your color table. You have encountered a feature,
not a bug :-)

By default, the IDV does not use the range that is defined with a color table
when you select
a new color table.  That range is more of a convenience when creating the color
table so, for example,
you can see exactly where certain important breaks are at.

You need to explicitly set the range with the "Change Range" dialog.
From there you can select a default range, the range from the data or the range
from the
color table. One example of why you don't want to change the range
automatically is if you
have some field where your range is the range of the data set and you want to
apply a color
table to it without changing the range.

-Jeff

Ticket ID: REG-431510