[IDV #CZL-505760]: RTMA grids in IDV

Hi John-

> Played around with a file of mesonet netcdf file from MADIS and was
> having some success, but a little lost as to how to set things up
> properly. I was having troubles getting untracked on using aliases to
> map the netCDF parameters in my file to those used in IDV. For example,
> the MADIS netCDF file uses Temperature_K and I appear to need to get
> that into IDV variable TEMP. I did that through the alias tool but still
> wasn't having luck seeing temperature. I could plot the station
> locations, though, without trouble.

This is a bug.  Are you using the RC2 version or the 1.3b2?  When
you edit the aliases, it should apply immediately, but it looks
like you have to exit and restart the IDV for that to apply.
We'll fix that before the workshop.  Also, in you post above,
you have Temperature_K, but the names are case sensitive, so
make sure you are using temperature_K.

Another issue that we've addressed is the fact that we munge the
name of the netCDF variable from temperature to temperature_K to
make it unique.  Because the IDV is generic in nature, we don't
have standard names like TMPK, TMPC like GEMPAK so people can
put whatever unit (or no unit) with a given variable.  To distinguish
these, we added the _<unit> to the name in the 2.0 release. That
is causing problems, so we are making a mod that will allow the
aliases to work with the un-munged variable name (e.g. temperature).

Sorry you ran into these two, but thanks, since we'll fix them.

> I'm also a bit concerned about how practical memorywise it will be to
> bring up one of the huge RTMA grids and overlay one of these huge netCDF
> grids. I seem to need about 1 gbyte for just the netCDF file and I
> suspect the RTMA grid is really going to be a problem. Will the boxes in
> the class lab have enough memory to handle that? Is there a way to
> sectorize the grid to save memory?

You can sectorize any grid through the data source properties (1.3b2)
and through the field selector (2.0).  You can subset on a lat/lon box
and/or by skipping grid points.

> Do you have some time to give me a few pointers on how to create the
> aliases and link to a new station model so that I can plot the mesonet
> surface obs?
>
> An example file is available via ftp: ftp.met.utah.edu
> cd pub/jhorel
> get 20060615_1200
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide,

After adding in the aliases, then exiting and restarting, I was
able to plot the data.  Let me know if that doesn't work for you.

Ticket ID: CZL-505760
Department: Support IDV