[IDV #XOS-354812]: IDV - java3D errors and installation problems

Hi Meghan-

> I have copied the errors that occur in the terminal window
> as I click on OK in the error windows that repeatedly come
> up until the Field Selector and IDV Help Tips come up.
> (See .txt file).

This indicates that you are not pointing to the java that was
distributed with the IDV, but instead are still pointing to the
Java that has a version of Java 3D that you downloaded that is
incompatible with your system.  Note the error:

> Java 3D ERROR : GLX extension is not supported
> GLX version 1.3 or higher is required

This only should happen if a version of java 3d greater than 1.3.2
is used.  Prior to 1.3.2, only GLX 1.2 was required.  You need to
make sure that the script you are starting the IDV with is pointing
to the jre/bin/java that is in the installation directory.  That uses
Java 3D 1.3.1.

Here's what I'd like you to do:

- download the following installer from the Unidata web site:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/idv/latest/ftp/idv_1_3b2_linux_i586_installer.bin

- install this in a directory that is not the same as the one you have
been using (e.g. IDV_1.3B2_fordon).
- after the installation, go into that directory and run:
./runIDV
- if you still get the GLX error, then please send me a copy of your
X Server configuration file (xorg.conf or XF86Config) and the runIDV
script

- if that does work, then copy the geonidv.jar file into that
directory and from the command line type:

jre/bin/java -Xmx512m -jar geonidv.jar

- if that works, then create a runGEONIDV script that has that line
in it.

> There are no log files being generated.

Okay.

> I am running directly on a console and the program is
> installed on the machine I am sitting at.   Nothing is
> being run remotely.  I'll have our sys admin answer the
> question about the type of X server ...

Thanks.