[IDV #OXE-910941]: Fwd: What I was trying to do with IDV, apparently is easy to do...

Hi Dave-

> My colleague, John Monteverdi, and I were playing around with the IDV
> recently trying to plot isosurfaces of Level II radar reflectivities.
> We succeeded to a point but not couldn't get what we considered a
> satisfactory plot. John found the plot below, made with another piece
> of software--do you think that the IDV could come close to it if we
> just knew how?

At this point, no.  From the image, it looks to me like they
are regridding the data before doing the volume rendering.
(note the step like features in the back part of the image)
We looked at regridding a while back, but it is was very
compute intensive and we didn't pursue it further.  Note the
comments on the requirements for doing the volume rendering for
gr2analyst.  I tried gr2analyst on my machine and apparently
my graphics card is not compatible, so even if you are running
Windows, it may not be "easy to do".

It is something we can put on the wish list, though.   I tried
doing volume rendering of a level 2 file in the IDV, but it
turned out to be a better looking display of nested cones rather
than what the gr2analyst image showed.  To do that, load in
a Level II radar image, select the Any Field formula and a Volume Renderer
and when prompted for data, select the Reflectivity field.

Don Murray

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> > Date: May 13, 2006 8:54:01 PM PDT
> > To: Dave Dempsey <address@hidden>
> > Subject: What I was trying to do with IDV, apparently is easy to do...
> >
> > .....using GrLevel2 Analyst Edition
> >
> > http://www.grlevelx.com/gr2analyst/
> >
> > ...but only a PC version.
> >
> > JOhn
> >

> &#65532;
> *                                      |         __ __    \|/  *
> *   Dr. Dave Dempsey                   | )   ^  /|| ||\  --0-- *
> *   Dept. of Geosciences               |) ) ^  / ||_|| \  /|\  *
> *   San Francisco State University     | ) )  /  | _ |  \      *
> *   1600 Holloway Ave.                 |)   )/   || ||   \     *
> *   San Francisco, CA   94132          | )   )   ||_||    \    *
> *   Phone:  (415) 338-7716             |  )   )  || ||      \  *
> *   Email:  address@hidden           |  )  )  )  ~  ~   ~ ~  *

Ticket ID: OXE-910941
Department: Support IDV