[IDV #AQT-221107]: IDV - Color image over topography

Hi Stu-

> Institution: UNAVCO
> Package Version: 1.3b2
> Operating System: linux
> Hardware Information: usual
> Inquiry: Can the IDV drape a color image (TIFF) over topography?

yes.

> The display choice for topography "Color image over topography" seems to
> suggest that it can.

The "Color-Shaded Plan View Over Topography" is really for laying a 2D parameter
over topography, not a TIFF/GIF/PNG image.   I'm not sure
where you  are seeing "Color image over topography".  There is
"3 Color (RGB) Image over topography".  Is that what you are talking
about?

> Try this topo data:
> http://geon.unavco.org/unavco/NETCDF/YNP_GTNP_topography_30sec.nc
>
> and the attached tiff image (6 megs) of a geology map

You'll have to use the Navigated Image formula to do this to add
geolocation information to the image.  Right now, there isn't
a choice for "3 Color (RGB) Image over topography" for the
Navigated Image, but I'll add that for the next release.

Here's what you do:

- load in both datasets
- From the Formulas Data Source, choose Any field and select
"3 Color (RGB) Image over topography" for the display.
- when you are prompted for the topography, pick the Altitude
choice from the netCDF data source.
- for the image, select Formulas->System->Navigated Image.
- When prompted, put in the coordinates for the upper left and
lower right corners of the image (assumes a rectillinear image).
- when prompted for the image, pick the image from the list
of choices, then OK.  You should see the display.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: AQT-221107
Department: Support IDV