[IDV #GQT-799070]: IDV - reading netcdf files

Hi Cory-

> Thank you for your quick response.  When I tried setting that to "Track
> files" I received an error.  The text is:
> An error has occurred: Problem opening
> file:/d1/cwolff/scale/data/netcdf/20050125.to.nc
> ucar.unidata.data.BadDataException: Could not open
> trajectory file:/d1/cwolff/scale/data/netcdf/20050125.to.nc
> Could not open trajectory
> file:/d1/cwolff/scale/data/netcdf/20050125.to.nc
>
> It must be a problem with my created netcdf file.  Can you see anything in
> the header file (otter_header.txt) that might give IDV a problem?

Okay, you'll need to make a couple of corrections for this to work:

- Change the Conventions tag to:

:Conventions = "NCAR-RAF/nimbus" ;

- add a global attribute:

:Version = "1.2" ;

The GLAT, GLON and GLAT variables will need to be named LAT, LON and ALT
since that is the version 1.2 standard.

BTW, you might wan to consult the NCAR-RAF Aircraft netCDF Convention document
for the complete specification.  The 1.3 version is more flexible and
allows you to specify the lat,lon,alt, and time variables with a
global attribute.  You can find the document at:

http://www.eol.ucar.edu/raf/Software/netCDF.html

One more note.  One of your units is not correct.  For
temperature, it should be degC instead of C (C is Coulomb in
the international standard).  Another common mistake is to
use mb for pressure.  It should be mbar or hPa.  Just something
to keep in mind for the future.

If this still doesn't work, please send me the file or put it
on a web/ftp server and I'll see what else needs to be tweaked.

Don

> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: GQT-799070
> > Department: Support IDV