[IDV #GQT-799070]: IDV - reading netcdf files

Hi Cory-

> Institution: NCAR
> Package Version: 1.3B1
> Operating System: Linux (Debian)
> Hardware Information: PC
> Inquiry: Hi, I am trying to read aircraft data into IDV in order to plot
> their tracks in 3 dimensions.  In order to do this, I believe that I need to
> convert the ascii files into netcdf.  Attached are two headers from netcdf
> files.  The one called c130_header.txt is from some C-130 data that was given
> to me in netcdf format.  This file is able to be read by IDV with no problems
> and I have access to all of the fields.  The file called otter_header.txt is
> a header from a netcdf file that I\'ve created (using ncl).  I attempted to
> copy the attributes and layout from the C-130 data file.  However, when I try
> to read this into IDV nothing shows up in the \"Fields\" window in the Field
> Selector.  Am I missing something important in the creation of this netcdf
> file?  Any help you can provide would be appreciated.  Thank you.

When you open the file with the Files Chooser, set the Data Source Type
to "Track Files" from the dropdown list.  We use the file name to guess
at the type of file and c130 from the first file matches that pattern,
whereas otter doesn't.

By default, it is trying to open that netCDF file as a grid and there
are no grid variables in there (thus the blank list).

If that doesn't work, let me know.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: GQT-799070
Department: Support IDV