[IDV #IWW-476243]: GRIB files?

Hi Bart-

> Subject: GRIB files?
> Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 13:26:08 -0700
> From: Bart Geerts <address@hidden>
>
> We are running WS-ETA as a class exercise and the script we have
> available can create GRIB files (as well as gempak files). GRIB files
> can be viewed in (N)AWIPS and GrADS. I had hoped to be able to open
> these files in IDV.
>
> I got an error message:
> 06032112.Grb.F002 not compatible with VisADDataSource data family

The IDV uses the filename to guess at the type.  For GRIB files, we
look for files with .grb or .grib on them.  In this case, we can't
guess what the file type is from the name.  In the file chooser,
set the Data Source Type to be "Grid files (netCDF/GRIB/OPeNDAP)"
and then open the file.

> Suggestions?

If that doesn't work, let me know.  Sometimes we need special GRIB
tables for local models, but we have been reading WS-ETA grib files
with the IDV here for a while.

Don

Ticket ID: IWW-476243
Department: Support IDV