20060109: Resolved Issure with loading 3D Model Displays...

>From: Jacob <address@hidden>

Hi Jacob-

>       Hey, Jacob here.  I just wanted to let you know that although I have
>not completely solved the problem we had with displaying 3D Models in
>IDV, I have however found a way to display them alternatively, by
>setting limitations on the amount of data to be downloaded.  I went to
>Geo-Sub settings and was looking at the different options I had of
>editing the Display output.  I believe I already told you that I was
>able to make a display box of the eastern CONUS and would actually get
>the 3D display of that.  I thought about the fact that we both came to
>the conclusion that there was a hanging on the reading of the data
>because of the possible file size limit.  Then I took into consideration
>that when ever I want to retrieve a Model display from the GFS Model for
>the entire forecast period, I never look at anything more than a few
>levels of the atmosphere.  However, by default, the IDV downloads all
>levels of the atmosphere.  So, I went to the Geo-Sub settings and
>limited the amount of level downloads to every tenth level.  That meant
>that whichever Model display I would choose for download, I would get
>only three primary levels, and not all the levels, which I am not
>interested in anyway.  The primary level I want is the 1000MB level.  I
>then applied that setting and tried to download both the 3D Flow Vectors
>and the 3D True Wind Vectors, and the display actually came up.  I also
>saw that the download time for the 3D True Wind Vectors was only about
>20 seconds, as opposed to about 3 minutes when I had IDV installed on my
>PC running Windows XP.  So although I have not figured the entire
>problem as to why IDV hangs when I tried to download all levels for the
>entire CONUS, I have found a way to over come that by setting the
>limitations on how many levels of the atmosphere IDV downloads.

I'm glad you have a work around, but I would like to figure out
what is happening, so will be in touch when I have some time to
work on it.  The person who wrote the server was out of town last
week, but is back this week.  I'll talk to him about how to
diagnose this problem.

>       There is one thing I wanted to ask you also about the memory limit that
>IDV is obviously set on.  I do not know if you received my email last
>Friday, but I sent you one concerning the problem I had with IDV
>terminating on its own when the memory level went above 361MB.  When I
>tried to load displays that caused the IDV memory level to exceed 361MB,
>IDV shut down and I recieved this message in the Terminal Window from
>which I loaded the IDV from:
>
>./runIDV: line 24: 17388 Killed                  ./jre/bin/${command}
>
>       Would there be a way to change the memory limit in IDV?  When I ran IDV
>on my PC containing Windows XP, I was able to go all the way to 530MB.
>I have 512MB of RAM on both the PC with Windows and the PC running
>Fedora Core 4.  I want to thank you for helping me with this issue.  You
>have been a tremendous help to me and I greatly appreciate it.  God
>Bless all you guys at Unidata.

See my previous message.

Don