20060108: IDV - problem downloading dataset and requestion for glossary of abbreviations

>From: "Laney Mills" <address@hidden>

Hi Laney-

>Institution: College of Charleston
>Package Version: 1.3b1
>Operating System: os.name:Windows XP; os.arch:x86; os.version:5.1;
>Hardware Information: java.vendor:Sun Microsystems Inc.; java.version:1.4.2_08
> ; java.home:C:\\Program Files\\IDV_1.3B1\\jre; j3d.version:1.3.2 fcs (build12
> ); j3d.vendor:Sun Microsystems, Inc.; j3d.renderer:OpenGL;
>Inquiry: Hi,
>I'm just learning the IDV.  I was trying to get a pole to pole cross section o
> f temperature at
>heights from the surface up into the stratosphere either along a longitude lin
> e or a meridonal
>average.  I just wanted to see if this data source might have that.

I would use the IDD Model data and the GFS Global 5x5 degree grids.

>I did a routine request for this data using the same steps that work fine for
> the unidata data
>sets, when this message occurred.

There is a problem with this server and we should remove it from the
the list of WMS servers.  A WMS server provides a static image for the
region selected.

>Also:  I'm a physicist teaching an atmospheric physics class.  Consequently I
> am more
>familiar with the physical processes than I am with the standard names and abb
> reviations.
>Is there a glossary for all the seemingly infinity of abbreviations:  tiger, g
> love, ect.  I have
>found some of them by rooting around, but it would be a great time saver if yo
> u could
>steer me to a web site that defined and explained some of these.

Unfortunately, we don't have such a glossary.  Sometimes just using
Google might get you just as much information.  We will try to add
some documentation links to the catalogs that we maintain.  Thanks
for that suggestion.

>Thanks,
>Laney Mills, College of Charleston
>

>An error has occurred:
>There was an error accessing the image with the url:
>http://globe.digitalearth.gov/viz-bin/wmt.cgi?version=1.1.1&request=GetMap&Sty
> les=&format=image/gif&SRS=EPSG:4326&Layers=ATMEA&BBOX=180.0,-4.0,180.0,66.0&w
> idth=637&height=2000
>java.lang.IllegalStateException
>
>******************
>Stack trace:
>java.lang.IllegalStateException
>       at ucar.unidata.data.gis.WmsDataSource.getDataInner(WmsDataSource.java:
> 330)
>       at ucar.unidata.data.DataSourceImpl.getData(DataSourceImpl.java:1297)
>       at ucar.unidata.data.DirectDataChoice.getData(DirectDataChoice.java:316
> )
>       at ucar.unidata.data.DataChoice.getData(DataChoice.java:526)
>       at ucar.unidata.idv.control.WMSControl.readImageData(WMSControl.java:81
> 4)
>       at ucar.unidata.idv.control.WMSControl.loadImage(WMSControl.java:760)
>       at ucar.unidata.idv.control.WMSControl.access$200(WMSControl.java:105)
>       at ucar.unidata.idv.control.WMSControl$2.run(WMSControl.java:742)
>       at ucar.unidata.util.Misc$2.run(Misc.java:806)

Don Murray