20051213: Inconsistent behavior in IDV versions

>From: Daniel Schaffer <address@hidden>

Hi Dan-

>When I bring up IDV with the Java Web Start, I am able to display
>catalogued fields such as in the NCEP RUC2 40km CONUS file just fine.
>
>However, if I download the Windows version of IDV and start it up
>with java -jar idv.jar
>
>then when I try to create a display of the same fields, I get the following
>error message:
>
>An error has occurred.
>ControlDescriptor.
>Creating Display
>javax/vecmath/Tuple3f.

This indicates that you don't have Java 3D installed on the
version of Java that is being used.  The Web Start version
installs Java 3D automatically.

I'd recommend using the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) that comes
with the InstallAnywhere installer which has Java 3D included.
Then use the runIDV.bat script to start up the IDV which uses
the java in the jre/bin directory.

>I'm using Windows XP.
>
>I tried both java 1.5 and Java 1.4.2.
>
>My colleague, Jeff Smith observed the same behavior.
>
>Is it possible that the IDV versions are not in sync with each other?

The InstallAnywhere version of IDV does not know about the java
resources that the Web Start version uses.

Don Murray