20051209: WRF output/IDV compatability

>From: Daniel Schaffer <address@hidden>

Hi Dan-

>Thanks for responding.  I have put out a sample Grib data file
>that's generated by post-processing wrf output.  It is available at:
>
>http://www-ad.fsl.noaa.gov/ac/schaffer/wrfout_grib
>
>When I tried to load this file via IDV, I got an error message saying it
>was "incompatible with the VisADDataSource data family."

You need to set the Data Source Type to "Grid files (netCDF/GRIB/OPeNDAP)"
in the chooser to tell the IDV that it is gridded data.  We don't have
a sniffer for these files yet.

>My understanding is that this contains data on a lambert conformal grid that
>has been unstaggered.

That's what it looks like when I plot it in the IDV.

>Thanks very much for your help!

>Dan
>
>p.s.
>I assume you know I have been corresponding with Tom Balzer about IDV.

I did not know that.  I didn't see Tom today, but will talk to him
tomorrow about it.  We'll be releasing a new version of the IDV
this week that allows subsetting of the grid by geographic region.

Don Murray