20051117: "Sitepath" problems with IDV v1.2

Hi Dave,

I've been beating my head against the wall trying to persuade IDV v1.2
(running on our Macs, OS X v10.3.9) to access non-default resource files
specified using the -sitepath parameter on the runIDV script command line.
I can't for the life of me get this to work, and I've begun to wonder if
this isn't symptomatic of a bug.

Here's the picture:

  (1) We can run "runIDV" on a Mac in our student computer lab, logged on
as "student", a generic student access account on every machine. The IDV
creates and subsequently uses default resources files stored in
~student/.metapps/DefaultIdv.

[...]
Sorry you have been having this problem. The -sitepath tells the IDV where to pick up extra resources and is meant to share a set of common resources among a group of users. This however, is for reading. The IDV still uses ~/.metapps/DefaultIdv to read and write user specific resources.

There is a command line argument that will solve your problems:
-userpath
So doing:

runIDV -userpath /h/users/students/acctname/IDV/DefaultIdv

Should solve your problem.

Note: You  can still use -sitepath so all of your students can share common
things.

-Jeff