20051114: IDV altitude in meters only?

Subject: 20051114: IDV altitude in meters only?
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:09:57 -0700
From: Don Murray <address@hidden>
To: Stuart Wier <address@hidden>

Hi Stu-

Stuart Wier wrote:
I just noticed a change in behavior from 1.2b2 to 1.2, Using a point data file like that attached the altitude is plotted with meters in 1.2 whereas the data file gives units as kilometers, and 1.2b2 plotted the earthquakes at kilometers depths. I haven't changed code that I recall there going to 1.2 and wonder if it strikes you as something more basic. Do you see that effect? This is also shown in the "point data list" display where the new value shows "altitude" of meters.

Definitely a bug.  Thanks for finding this.

A small other thing, about label consistency.For gridded data, the Data Selector window, Displays panel, lists the display choice Plan Views Color image, but the display control window for a display is titled Color Shaded Plan View, as is the legend in the main window. That really no problem but might confuse the novice for a moment.

Do you have your own controls.xml where you changed the
default label for this control?  In the system default, it looks
like:

  <control
     id="planviewcolor"
     categories="GRID-2D-*;GRID-3D-*;"
     class="ucar.unidata.idv.control.ColorPlanViewControl"
     description="Plan view color-shaded image"
     label="Color-Shaded Plan View"
     xxxicon="/ucar/unidata/idv/images/planview.jpg"
     displaycategory="Plan Views"
     properties="displayName=Color-Shaded Plan View;smoothed=false;"/>

the label parameter is what gets displayed in the Displays
section of the Field Selector.  The displayName is what
gets passed along and is used for the Control Window title.
So, I'm guessing that you have a custom controls.xml which
has the label changed, but not the displayName.  If that's
not the case, let me know.

In the next version, it will use the label as the displayName
if it's not specified.

Thanks for finding the bug.  I've passed it on to John Caron
and it should be fixed in the next release.

BTW, we're shooting for the 1.3b1 release the week before AGU.
If you want to get a pre-release, let me know.

Don