20051110: IDV - Error displaying Level II NEXRAD data

>From: "Simon Paech" <address@hidden>

Hi Simon-

>Institution: The University of Alabama in Huntsville
>Package Version: 1.2b2
>Operating System: Suse 9.2 Linux
>Hardware Information: Not sure (but don\'t think question is related to hardwa
> re)
>Inquiry: An error has occurred: Creating obs -4
>
>Hi.  The above is the error I am getting when trying to display some Lev II NE
> XRAD
>radar data with IDV 1.2b2.  This error occurs when the sweep angle in the pull
> -down
>menu on the Reflectivity control window is not one of the sweep angles in the
> radar
>volume.
>
>The radar data I\'m using (from KTWX) has the following sweep elevation angles
> ,
>which, as far as I can tell, don\'t fit into any of the usual VCP\'s:
>
>KTWX20050511_214230:
>cat.1050511214227.KTWX.0
>swp.1050511214227.KTWX.398.0.5_SUR_v1
>swp.1050511214244.KTWX.939.0.5_SUR_v1
>swp.1050511214300.KTWX.48.0.9_SUR_v1
>swp.1050511214317.KTWX.511.0.9_SUR_v1
>swp.1050511214332.KTWX.572.1.3_SUR_v1
>swp.1050511214350.KTWX.155.1.3_SUR_v1
>swp.1050511214405.KTWX.306.1.8_SUR_v1
>swp.1050511214421.KTWX.42.2.4_SUR_v1
>swp.1050511214435.KTWX.454.3.1_SUR_v1
>swp.1050511214449.KTWX.873.4.0_SUR_v1
>swp.1050511214504.KTWX.624.5.1_SUR_v1
>swp.1050511214518.KTWX.301.6.4_SUR_v1
>swp.1050511214532.KTWX.39.8.0_SUR_v1
>swp.1050511214545.KTWX.728.10.0_SUR_v1
>swp.1050511214559.KTWX.324.12.5_SUR_v1
>swp.1050511214612.KTWX.986.15.6_SUR_v1
>swp.1050511214626.KTWX.714.19.5_SUR_v1

Are these files really Archive Level II files?  These look like
the individual sweeps rather than a complete volume.    Or is this
the printout from some program that scans the file.  Did you get
these through an LDM feed or from NCDC or some other source?

This looks like it is using VCP 12.  At the current time, for
any particular angle, we only grab the first sweep at an angle
if there are multiple sweeps at the same angle.

>I searched the Unidata support email list and found 1 mention of a similar iss
> ue,
>but it wasn\'t quite the same as this, so I thought I\'d email you guys.  Also
> , I didn\'t see that this bug was mentioned in the known bugs list, or fixed
> in the 1.2 August release, so I didn\'t think upgrading would fix it.

We haven't done any work on the Level II reading since 1.2b2, so upgrading
shouldn't make a difference in this case.  Could you let me know:

- What chooser you used to load in the data
- what the listed fields are.

If you could send a sample file, that would help also.

>Thanks.  Nice tool (IDV) by the way!

Thanks.

Don