20051104: IDV - Exporting Data from Level II radar data

>From: Kenny Redman <address@hidden>

Hi Kenny-

>It worked like a charm!

Glad to hear it.

>The only part that I don't understand is the last
>section- about saving all sweep angles as one file.
>Here is my process- First I load a volume scan of
>reflectivity.  Then I go through the process of
>selecting the formula and double click on "Radar Sweep
>in 3D."  Next, I name the file and select the
>elevation angle.  I do this for all the angles for
>each level II data file- so I end up with 8 text file
>for each radar file.

You should just be able to:

- load in the volume
- right click on the formula and select the Evaluate Formula
menu.  You no longer need to select the display.

>When I tried what you mentioned about right clicking
>on the formula in the Fields panel and selecting
>Evaluate Formula method, it didn't write out what I
>had expected.  I thought it looked correct at first
>because the text file was 40MB, but looking at it I
>saw that the angles that were written were 0, 0.39,
>1.4, 1.49, 2.3ish, not the 0.5, 1.5, 2.4, 4.3, 6.0,
>9.9, 14.6, and 19.5.  What am I doing wrong?

The angles listed in the field selector and level
selectors are the "standard" angles for a particular
Volume Coverage Pattern (VCP).  However, some VCPs
have multiple sweeps at the same (or close) tilt angles.
What you are seeing is the actual angle of any given sweep,
not the standard angle.  That said, you shouldn't get
a 0 level.  I'll look into that.

>You've helped me tremendously already!  thank you very
>much.

No problem.

Don Murray