20051103: IDV - Exporting Data from Level II radar data

>From: "Kenneth Redman" <address@hidden>

Hi Kenny-

>Institution: Purdue University
>Package Version: 1.2
>Operating System: windows xp sp1
>Hardware Information: dell gx260, 2.4GHz, 1GB RAM,
>Inquiry: Hello there,
>
>I am currently working on a little project where we need to export the data po
> ints from all of the sweep angles of a set of level II radar data.
>
>I found where someone was asking how to do this as well as converting it to lo
> ng/lat/alt, but we just need the range/azimuth/angle.  I have used the coding
>  found on this discussion:
>
>http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/getfile?file=/content/support/help/MailArc
> hives/idv/msg00249.html
>
>to end up with a text file that looks like this:
>
>(500.0, 0.6591796875, 1.5) NaN
>(1500.0, 0.6591796875, 1.5) 48.5
>(2500.0, 0.6591796875, 1.5) 49.0
>(3500.0, 0.6591796875, 1.5) 48.0
>.
>.
>.
>

>This is exactly what I need, but here's the silly question/s.  How do I not wr
> ite the parenthesis and commas?

It's not a silly question.  In the code referenced in the message above,
the print just prints out the VisAD RealTuple "point" which by default will
be formatted with the parens and commas.  After you call mydu.getSample()
to get this point, try the following:

       p = point.getValues()

and print out str(p[0]), str(p[1]), str(p[2]).

      line = str(p[0])+" "+str(p[1])+" "+str(p[2])+" "+str(value)+"\n"

Since you don't want the lat/lon values, you can comment out the
convertDomain call which will save some time and memory and any
references to lldom and llpoint.

>Also, I am doing this for each individual angle at a time.  Is it possible to
> make it so that I don't input the sweep angle, and can write the data for the
>  entire data file?

If you select the Reflectivity field, you should get the entire
volume.

Also, since that message was written, you don't need to worry
about the display type.  From the Field Selector, right click
on the formula in the Fields panel and select the Evaluate Formula
method.  That will prompt you for the file and just write it out.

>Thanks a lot- Any help is greatly appreciated!

Let me know if the solution above doesn't work for you.

Don