20051028: Displaying nexrad II in IDV

>From: "Arthur A. Person" <address@hidden>

Hi Art-

>I'm trying to display nexrad level II data in IDV as distributed on the
>IDD and do a Data->New Data Source->From the File System on one of the
>files and click "Add Source".  It gives the following error:
>
>An error has occurred: There was an error loading the data: Failed to open
>"C:\Data\KCCX_20051028_1300" not compatible with "VisADDataSource" data
>family.
>
>Is it possible to view these nexrad files via IDV?  If so, what's the
>trick?  I also would like to view the NCDC uncompressed files as well...
>are they viewable somehow?

Instead of using the File Chooser, use the Level II chooser from
the Data->New Data Source->Level II Radar menu.  You can use that
chooser's file selector to go to the directory with the data. Because
Level II data files do not have station information in them, the IDV
will automatically pick up the station from the directory name, or you can
specify
the station with the dropdown menu.

You can find more information on loading Level II data in the IDV
in the User's Guide from the Help menu, or on line at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/IDV/docs/userguide/quickstart/RadarLevelII.html

Also, there is a section in the IDV Workshop Materials which is basically
the same as the above:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/IDV/docs/workshop/datadisplays/level2/index.html

There's also a section in the FAQ concerning downloading data from NCDC.
I know you asked about this to the gembud list recently:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/IDV/docs/userguide/Faq.html#faq1_cat4_17

>This above was using IDV 1.2.

We are going to be working on the IDV Level II radar interface over the
next few months. Any input you have would be useful.

Don Murray