20051027: IDV suggestion

Hi Bill-

Fingerhut, William A @ LSC wrote:

It has been quiet lately; everyone must be busy.

You should be hearing from Tom W soon so we can set up another
conference call to discuss 1.3a2.

I have an idea to bounce off you. I'm never sure how to send ideas
along because we don't have an 'ideas' group of messages on the comm.
web site. I guess I could create a Bill's ideas group ? Consider that
suggestion number 0.

I view the entire message system as "suggestions".  Each suggestion
has it's own thread in effect to keep things focused.

Okay. Is there a reason why html viewer displays are not included in
the float window ?

The displays that are listed in the float window are specific to the
view manager (e.g. map display) that they are placed in.  So, if you
have a multi-panel display, you should only see the display controls
for that display listed in the legend panel.

It seems as though they should be listed, since they are a display
type.

The HTML viewers are not associated with a specific view manager, so
they are not listed in the legend.  You can get to them from the
Display->Current Displays menu which lists all displays in the entire IDV.

Then, the visibility toggle lock could be used to retain the html
viewer when other displays are removed ?

The visibility lock will only lock the visibility but will not prevent
the display from being removed.  I can understand the confusion, since
the background maps have the lock icon and are not removed.  These are
special case control.

I would find this useful since I have an html display that acts as a
menu for launching bundle files. What do you think ?

You can accomplish what you want by unchecking the
File->Remove on Remove All menu item in the HTML control
window.   With that off, the window will stick around
when you load clear all displays and data.

Don Murray