20050801: IDV form and bugs

Subject: 20050801: IDV form and bugs
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 15:10:31 -0600
From: Don Murray <address@hidden>
To: Steve Aulenbach <address@hidden>

Hi Steve-

Steve Aulenbach wrote:

Anyway, RAMS Vis5D output is an interesting puzzle in its own right and of all the things we talked about, the most "time critical". I would really like to get this sorted out so my colleague can use a better tool than ncview to look at RAMS out put and, more importantly, since we are putting the RAMS runs on the CDP, so we can do some IDV-boosted science with the RAF flight tracks, the MODIS satellite imagery, RUC and friends, RAMS output and the data assimilation version of RAMS, RAMDAS.

The file I gave you works just fine with Vis5D itself. This sequence produces the errors below:

With IDV running,
either Open or
File/New Data/From the File System/ ... (Data Source Chooser) ... / Data Source Type: Default or Vis5D/(filename.v5d) / (select file name)/ Add Source

creates problems.

This was a bug in the Vis5D reader in VisAD.  In all other files I've
used, the 2D variables came after the 3D variables.  In this case,
the 2D are first and the maximum number of levels was being set to 1.
I've tested a fix for this which will be in the next release.  Thanks
for finding this.

However, this particular file has a problem with the units.  For some
reason, the units string in the file for the variables is screwy.
For example, U and V have units of "m/s      m/s" which ends up
being m2/s2.  I verified this using v5dedit which is part of the
Vis5D distribution, so I don't think it's an IDV/VisAD problem.
I ran v5dedit on this file and set the correct units and then
things displayed nicely.

Also, for the topo field, all values seem to be 0.  I couldn't get
it to display in Vis5D either.

So, although one problem is solved, the others can create some
issues.

----
An error has occurred: Initializing Vis5D data source
Data object "/Users/aulenbac/Projects/fromStephan/RAMS_ACME_200407121400.v5d"
 not compatible with "vis5d" data family

visad.data.BadFormException: Data object "/Users/aulenbac/Projects/fromStephan/RAMS_ACME_200407121400.v5d" not compatible with "vis5d" data family
    at visad.data.FunctionFormFamily.open(FunctionFormFamily.java:444)
    at visad.data.vis5d.Vis5DFamily.open(Vis5DFamily.java:152)
at ucar.unidata.data.grid.Vis5DDataSource.initVis5dDataSource(Vis5DDataSour ce.java:145) at ucar.unidata.data.grid.Vis5DDataSource.<init>(Vis5DDataSource.java:102) at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method) at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorA ccessorImpl.java:39) at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingCons tructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
    at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:274)
    at ucar.unidata.data.DataManager.createDataSource(DataManager.java:902)
at ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.createDataSource(IntegratedDataVie wer.java:1376) at ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.makeDataSource(IntegratedDataViewe r.java:1315) at ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.makeDataSource(IntegratedDataViewe r.java:1296) at ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.IdvChooser.makeDataSource(IdvChooser.java:363) at ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.FileChooser.selectFileInner(FileChooser.java: 405) at ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.FileChooser.selectFile(FileChooser.java:283)
    at ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.FileChooser.doLoad(FileChooser.java:300)
    at ucar.unidata.ui.ChooserPanel.actionPerformed(ChooserPanel.java:130)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java: 1819) at javax.swing.AbstractButton$ForwardActionEvents.actionPerformed(AbstractB utton.java:1872) at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.ja va:420) at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:258) at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(BasicButtonList ener.java:247) at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(AWTEventMulticaster.java: 231)
    at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:5166)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:3681)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:1671)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:3527) at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:3242)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:3172)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:1657)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThrea d.java:234) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread. java:184) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:178) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:170)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:100)

---

Don Murray