To: address@hidden
From: Dave Dempsey <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: 20050727: IDV - Error trying to plot local GRIB file 2-D and 3-D
fields (Mac OS X 10.3.9)

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Doug Lindholm wrote:

Have you gotten this data file to work with version 1.2b2 before or do
you suspect this is a Mac OS X issue?

Doug,

I don't have earlier versions of IDV installed, nor do I have v1.2b2
installed on anything other than Macs running OSX v10.3.9, so I can't tell
whether the problem is with Java on the Mac OS, or with new RAM that we
installed, or with the IDV GRIB reading software. I'm terrified that it's
a Mac issue, though; I've wanted to try to get the IDV running at SFSU for
several years, and incompatibilities between the IDV and Apple's Java, and
limits to the RAM that we've had installed on our Mac G4 Laptops, have
stymied me. It looked as if everything might finally have come together to
allow us to start running the IDV, so if this is a Mac issue it'll be very
disappointing.

One of the files that I tried to read and plot is accessible at:

   http://funnel.sfsu.edu/GRIB/05072712_gfsK.grb

The GRIB support is rather new and there may be some bugs in the beta 2
version that you are running. We plan to have a new release of the IDV
within the next few weeks.

I couldn't wait... :)

I should try plotting some other types of data to see if similar problems
arise.

-- Dave

Institution: San Francisco State University
Package Version: 1.2b2
Operating System: os.name:Mac OS X; os.arch:ppc; os.version:10.3.9;
Hardware Information: java.vendor:Apple Computer, Inc.; java.version:1.4.2_05;
java.home:/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Home;
Inquiry: An error has occurred:
getFlatField read got IOException
660203296

I've just installed IDV v1.2b2 on a number of Mac G4 laptops running OS X
10.3.9(with Java 3D installed.
As my first test of it, I' add a local data source consisting of a GRIB file
(GFS model output) and
selected first a 2-D and then later a 3-D field, but in both cases when I "Create
Display" I get a series of error
messages such as the one above.

I haven't done a thorough survey yet, but this problem has come up on several
machines
that I've tried so far.

We just upgraded the RAM on these machines to 1GB (third party RAM).

OK, what info have I failed to include here? There must be something!

******************
Stack trace:
java.io.IOException: 660203296
        at ucar.nc2.dataset.grid.GeoGrid.readDataSlice(GeoGrid.java:385)
        at ucar.nc2.dataset.grid.GeoGrid.readVolumeData(GeoGrid.java:249)
        at
ucar.unidata.data.grid.GeoGridAdapter.getFlatField(GeoGridAdapter.java:860)
        at
ucar.unidata.data.grid.GeoGridAdapter.makeSequence(GeoGridAdapter.java:997)
        at
ucar.unidata.data.grid.GeoGridAdapter.getSequence(GeoGridAdapter.java:811)
        at
ucar.unidata.data.grid.GeoGridDataSource.makeFieldImpl(GeoGridDataSource.java:429)
        at
ucar.unidata.data.grid.GeoGridDataSource.getDataInner(GeoGridDataSource.java:357)
        at ucar.unidata.data.DataSourceImpl.getData(DataSourceImpl.java:1254)
        at ucar.unidata.data.DirectDataChoice.getData(DirectDataChoice.java:283)
        at ucar.unidata.data.DataChoice.getData(DataChoice.java:498)
        at ucar.unidata.data.DataInstance.getData(DataInstance.java:204)
        at ucar.unidata.data.DataInstance.getData(DataInstance.java:169)
        at
ucar.unidata.data.grid.GridDataInstance.init(GridDataInstance.java:175)
        at
ucar.unidata.data.grid.GridDataInstance.<init>(GridDataInstance.java:138)
        at
ucar.unidata.idv.control.GridDisplayControl.doMakeDataInstance(GridDisplayControl.java:209)
        at
ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.setData(DisplayControlImpl.java:2072)
        at
ucar.unidata.idv.control.PlanViewControl.setData(PlanViewControl.java:360)
        at
ucar.unidata.idv.control.ContourPlanViewControl.setData(ContourPlanViewControl.java:112)
        at
ucar.unidata.idv.control.PlanViewControl.init(PlanViewControl.java:277)
        at
ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.init(DisplayControlImpl.java:918)
        at
ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.init(DisplayControlImpl.java:769)
        at
ucar.unidata.idv.ControlDescriptor.initControl(ControlDescriptor.java:741)
        at ucar.unidata.idv.ControlDescriptor$1.run(ControlDescriptor.java:699)
        at ucar.unidata.util.Misc$2.run(Misc.java:773)

------- End of Forwarded Message

------- End of Forwarded Message