Re: 20050727: IDV - Error trying to plot local GRIB file 2-D and 3-D f ields (Mac OS X 10.3.9) (cont.)

Hi Dave,

Well, it's not a hardware problem. This is a thin grid (the x dimension decreases to 1 as the latitude increases) and our software does not support direct access of the GRIB file. However, you can run the gribtonc decoder (http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/decoders/) to convert these to NetCDF files that the IDV can then read.

As I understand it, as things move to GRIB2 there will no longer be these thin grids to deal with so we have no plans to support thin grids in their raw GRIB format.

Thanks,
Doug