20050628: IDV

>From: "David Fitzgerald" <address@hidden>

Hi Dave-

>I am trying to install IDV version 2b2 on some linux boxes and I get an
>installation error.  Listed below is the info from uname -a and what
>java version I an using, as well as the error message from IDV.  Can you
>tell me what is happening?

I wish I knew for certain.  The installer has it's own version of
Java and that's what you should use.  Are you bypassing the
version with the installer and using a local version?

>[root@wxstn8 /]# uname -a
>
>Linux wxstn8.millersville.edu 2.6.11-1.35_FC3 #1 Mon Jun 13 00:52:08 EDT
>2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

I've installed on a similar system with no problems.

>[root@wxstn8 /]# which java
>
>/usr/java/jre1.5.0/bin/java

The IDV needs Java 1.4.x and won't work with 1.5.  See the
System Requirements page at:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/IDV/docs/userguide/Systems.html

>[root@wxstn8 bin]# ./idv_1_2b2_linux_i586_installer.bin
>
>Preparing to install...
>
>tail: `-1' option is obsolete; use `-n 1'
>
>Try `tail --help' for more information.
>
>./idv_1_2b2_linux_i586_installer.bin: line 329: [: `)' expected, found
>-z
>
>WARNING! The amount of /tmp disk space required and/or available
>
>could not be determined.  The installation will be attempted anyway.
>
>Extracting the JRE from the installer archive...
>
>Unpacking the JRE...
>
>Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
>
>Configuring the installer for this system's environment...
>
>=20
>
>Launching installer...
>
>=20
>
>Invocation of this Java Application has caused an
>InvocationTargetException. This application will now exit. (LAX)
>
>=20
>
>Stack Trace:
>
>java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:
>/tmp/install.dir.6567/Linux/resource/jre/lib/i386/libawt.so:
>/tmp/install.dir.6567/Linux/resource/jre/lib/i386/libawt.so: cannot
>restore segment prot after reloc: Permission denied
>
>      at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
>
>      at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
>
>      at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
>
>      at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
>
>      at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
>
>      at sun.security.action.LoadLibraryAction.run(Unknown Source)
>
>      at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
>
>      at sun.awt.NativeLibLoader.loadLibraries(Unknown Source)
>
>      at sun.awt.DebugHelper.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
>
>      at java.awt.Component.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
>
>      at com.zerog.ia.installer.Main.c(Unknown Source)
>
>      at com.zerog.ia.installer.Main.main(Unknown Source)
>
>      at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
>
>      at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
>
>      at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
>
>      at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
>
>      at com.zerog.lax.LAX.launch(Unknown Source)
>
>      at com.zerog.lax.LAX.main(Unknown Source)

I'm not sure what's going on here.  Sorry I'm not much help.

Don Murray