20050628: Using the IDV

Hi Joanne,

Hello,

I've been playing around with the Linux version of the IDV.  I'm
actually running it on an Enterprise 3 linux box and it seems to work
pretty good.  I'd like to talk to someone about some capabilities that
can enhance it.  We at FSL in Boulder have a requirement to provide a
capability such as provided by the IDV that enables a user on either a
linux or windows box to display different types of data, whether the
data reside locally or is remote.  This should be transparent to the user.

Here are some of my questions:

1.  Can the user interface be changed so that the user can select the
data and have the underlying sofware decide whether the data are local
or remote.

You can write a customized data chooser and integrate that within the IDV.

2.  Can other data sources be added such as oceanographic and model data.
As noted here: http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/IDV/docs/userguide/data/DataSources.html the IDV can handle a variety of data sources - various flavors of netcdf, grib, vis5d, adde imagery, etc. What format is your data in?
3.  What is the possibility of having a single display screen, instead
of having the main display and then a separate pop-up for profile data.

Right now, out of the box, the IDV does not support this. There is a preference (which unfortunately, for some reason, there is no access to set this) that will have all of the display control guis show up in a single tabbed pane window. One could create a special purpose IDV that supports this functionality - though screen real estate would
be a problem.

4.  An error occurred when I tried a couple of the free-style drawing
tools.  When you attempt to draw, an error dialog box pops up that says:

        "An error has occurred: Handling display event changed
javalang.NullPointerException"

    If you select the details, the first line says:

        "at
ucar.visad.display.DisplayableData.setData(DisplayableData.java: 493)"

     There are several more lines after this one.  Can someone tell me
why this error occurred?

Without seeing the full stack trace I would not be able to figure this out. Can you replicate this problem? and if so - in the error dialog could you submit the error to support (which will include the
stack trace).

-Jeff