20050608: IDV - Visualizing IP-Addresses

>From: "Torsten =?ISO-8859-1?Q?M=FCller?=" <address@hidden>

Hi-

>Institution: Student of University of Applied Sciences, Kaiserslautern, German
>Package Version: 1.2b2 - Java
>Operating System: Windows 2000
>Hardware Information: never enough
>Inquiry: Hi out there!
>
>I am experimenting with your IDV, trying to visualize tracker/peers of the bit
> torrent network, as part of a lecture project. We gather data with a program
> we call BitSonar (http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitsonar). After resolving
> IPs into coordinates and writing them into a netcdf-file, import in IDV is ea
> sy (although we have to write a new station model soon).

Wow, what an inventive use of the IDV.

We are totally reworking the netCDF underpinnings for point data in
the IDV for the next release, so your question is timely.

>My problem is, when importing Point Data, we are unable to use more than one D
> imension (recNum) from my netcfd-file. We would use a second dimension (or so
> me more for string information). Testing showed, that the files were read wit
> hout problems, but i haven't figured yet, how to access the other data. Maybe
>  you have any ideas.

What do you want to do with these other dimensions?  You may want to
look at the proposed convention for station data in the new netCDF
package:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf-java/formats/UnidataObsConvention.html

to see if that would suit your needs.  This is still in development and
we would appreciate your input on this.

Note that this new format will not work with the currently released
IDV (1.2b2), but will work in the next release.

I've cc'd the developers of this proposed format in case they
have any suggestions.

Don Murray