20050426: Point data from DODS

Hi Chuck-

address@hidden wrote:
Second, data downloaded from the geon catalog at
http://geon.unavco.org/unavco/catalog.xml
are not being recognized as point data even though they have the file name
endings such as "_eq.nc" that should be recognized as point data. So all GEON
point data on this server is not able to plot. The same files stored on disk
and read as NetCDF files are  recognized as point observations.  Reading them
from the catalog somehow misses this recognition.

From a catalog, the serviceType and dataType are what determines how
the files are opened, not the file name.  One problem is that the
serviceType for these datasets is listed as DODS and the dataType is
listed as GRID.  So, they end up getting opened as grid files and since
there are no grids, there are no data choices.

However, even if the dataType was POINT, the IDV cannot read
point data from a DODS server.  Until it can, I think your
best bet would be to have the service type be NetCDF and the
dataType be POINT (or whatever the identifier is for the
your datasource in datasource.xml).  I think this should work
because we can read netCDF files from a URL.  The base path
for the NetCDF service type would have to change to point to
the true URL of the file.

Don
address@hidden                        P.O. Box 3000
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm
        "Time makes everyone interesting, even YOU!"