Re: Vis5D in IDV

Hi Roderick-

Pearson, Roderick R wrote:

I am cheating here because I know ftp server exists but I have no affiliation
with ssec at wisc.  They purge the files every 5 days and I don't know when
that 5 day period is up.
Thanks for looking at the file

I won't tell if you don't. ;-)

I convert my MM5 output to vis5d now and wanted to use IDV because I can make
use of some of the shapefiles that I have instead of the maps in vis5d.  The
problem is that IDV does not like the vis5d from the tovis5d program. It
doesn't recognize individual variables. It just sees them as one big block and
therefore can't make any plots.  IDV separates data into 2D and 3D.  WIth my
vis5d it does not do that.  Am I using tovis5d incorrectly?

I was able to plot the data from this file.  I think the
confusion is over what is displayed in the Data Selector window.
In that window, expand the 3D Grid Field to see the individual
parameters.  You can then select one of them and create the
type of display you desire.

Alternatively, you can use the Data menu to access the
individual fields.

One thing that is problematic with Vis5D files is that frequently
there are no units associated with the variables.  This appears to
be the case with this file.  The result is that some of the derived
variables may not work.

Don Murray
address@hidden                        P.O. Box 3000
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm
        "Time makes everyone interesting, even YOU!"