20050418: IDV - providing GEON IDV with Web start

Inquiry: Is there Unidata documentation about setting up a server with Web Start? Can you recommend other documentation?
In particular, how to provide the Geon IDV java package here and also get the
Unidata IDV as needed from Unidata in one client request?

Hi Stu,
No, we don't have any documentation on that.

There are two ways you could proceed. First, you can have your geonidv.jnlp file (copy the idv.jnlp file,
change code base, information, etc.)
Just add to the resources section the relevant geon jars and change the link for the idvbase to point absolutely
to the idv webstart area:
e.g.: Change this:
      <resources>
        <j2se version="1.4" max-heap-size="512m" />
          <jar href="IDV/idv.jar"/>
          <extension name="IDV Base" href="IDV/idvbase.jnlp"/>
      </resources>

To:
      <resources>
        <j2se version="1.4" max-heap-size="512m" />
--- your geon jars here --
<jar href="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/IDV/webstart/IDV/idv.jar"/> <extension name="IDV Base" href="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/IDV/webstart/IDV/IDV/idvbase.jnlp"/>
      </resources>

The problem with this approach is that you are relying on our main release webstart area. If we upgrade the IDV and it conflicts with your current GEON release you will have problems. So, what you could do is copy all of our jars and
just make your own standalone webstart release.

-Jeff