20050407: Displaying FSL netCDF point data

Valentine,

>Now, I am havig a different problem.  The station model does not display
>correctly -- the wind barbs and skycover do not plot on the map; the
>temperature, dewpoint, and pressure are ok.

The problem is that the station model does not recognize some of the parameter names
in the file. The simplest way to correct this is to add the parameter name
for wind speed and wind dir to the alias list.
This is convered in some detail in the IDV workshop section:
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/idv/docs/workshop/resources/stationmodel/StationModelEditor.html

What you can do is select the Edit->Resources->Parameter Aliases menu item from the main menu bar. Go to the System aliases tab. Near the top of the table you should see entries for SPEED and DIR. These are the canonical names for wind speed and wind direction that the IDV uses in the station models. Right click in the SPEED line and choose
"Copy to User Table"
This allows you to edit the entry in your own set of aliases.
In the User aliases table right click on the SPEED line and select "Edit Entry"
In the aliases list add "windSpeed" (The parameter name in your file).
Select OK.
IN the main alias editor  window select OK.
We already have a windDir alias in the system file.
Now, when you create a station model display wind barbs should show up.

The following is the list of parameter names used in the your netcdf file.
I don't see cloud coverage here. If there is one you can repeat the above steps
with the "CC" canonical name.

-Jeff

Time
Latitude