20050407:IDV: Displaying FSL netCDF point data

Hi Valentine,

I was fairly certain that you did. In fact, in the past I have used IDV to display some METAR and maritime data that I had obtained from FSL. However, the same data files can not be plotted any more. Once I load the data using the Data Selector (Data -> New Data Sourece -> File System), the file is displayed in the firts column under "Data Sources". However, the "Fields" columns displays the names of some elements of the NC file (VisAD data structure???), and "Omni Control" under "Displays", and nothing under "Times" -- instead of "Point Data" (Fields) and "Point Data Plots" and "Point Data List" in "Displays".

Would you mind checking it out?  I have a sample FSL file at:

   http://www.erc.msstate.edu/~val/tmp/20040709_1200.fsl.nc

This does work. However, what happened  is that the IDV did not open the
file as a point data file. Rather it opened it using a generic visad netcdf facility.
When this happens you only get the Omni Control.

What you can do is, in the file chooser, select the file and select:
"Netcdf Point Data files"
from the Data source Type menu. It should work then.

-Jeff