20050323: Range Rings Off (follow up)

>From: "Petty Kevin" <address@hidden>

Hi Kevin-

>You provided Greg Salottolo with way to modify the NEXRAD locations to correct
>  a precision problem. Like Greg, I have changed my "idv.rbi" to use a local f
> ile containing NEXRAD information for Pueblo, Colorado
>
><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
><stationtable name="NEXRAD Sites">
><station idn="000529" id="KPUX" name="Pueblo" st="CO" co="US" lat="38.4594" lo
> n="-104.1813" elev="1600"/>
></stationtable>
>
>This method appears to place the station with greater accuracy, but I now have
>  a follow-up question related to the precision used in IDV. After changing my
>  idv.rbi file and plotting the new Pueblo NEXRAD location, I used the "locati
> on indicator" to check the location. When I enter 38.4594, -104.1813 for the
> point/origin and center it at that point, it does not match up with the new N
> EXRAD location. It actually matches up with the old NEXRAD location. My quest
> ion(s)...does the location indicator round the values I enter? If so, would y
> ou be open to increasing the precision of the location indicator in a later v
> ersion of IDV?
>
>By the way, thanks for all of the hard work! IDV has come a long way. Specific
> ally, I appreciate the work your group did in terms of plotting aircraft trac
> ks and doing animations.

I'm having trouble replicating what you are seeing, but
I'm guessing that the problem is because you are using KPUX for the
id instead of PUX which is what you are trying to override in the
main nexradstns.xml.

Which location is being used from the Level II chooser? You should have
an entry for Pueblo from your file and Pueblo/Pueblo County in the
dropdown list, with the default being Pueblo if you have your data in a
directory called KPUX.

I tried replicating your problem and here's what I find using KPUX
for the id:

- I use this as the radar location in the Level II chooser.
- I display the nexrad locations using the Displays->Locations->
  NEXRAD Sites menu.
- I put on the location indicator and set the lat/lon of the origin
  to 38.4594, -104.1813.

this lines up with the center of the circle of the point for KPUX.
- I turn off decluttering for the station locations and display
both KPUX and PUX.
- If I add another location indicator control and set it's origin
to 38.45, -104.17 (the old PUX location), then it centers on
the circle next to PUX.

If I change the KPUX to PUX in the mynexrad.xml, then I only get
Pueblo listed in the locations on the Level II chooser.

If this doesn't clear anything up, can you send me an image
of what you are seeing and also the line you have in idv.rbi?

Thanks.

Don Murray