20050315: IDV and RegCM

>From: "Thomas L. Mote" <address@hidden>

Hi Tom-

>I'm trying to use IDV to look at some post-processed
>files from RegCM that are in netCDF format. I can
>view the 2-D surface fields (sea level pressure, total
>precipitation), but anytime I try to view any of the 3-D
>fields, like geopotential height, I get the following error:
>
>Z axis Unit null
>
>I'm starting with the assumption that the problem is with
>the way the netCDF files are created. Is this error just
>simply saying that the netCDF files doesn't have
>any units (i.e. pressure in mb) assigned for the vertical
>coordinate in the netcdf file?

You're on the right track.  At this point, the IDV can
only handle vertical coordinates of height or pressure.
(Note that "mb" is not the standard abbreviation for
millibar.  Be sure to use mbar or hPa).

What is the vertical coordinate listed as in the file?

>I'm just trying to figure out what this error means so
>I have a sense where to look.

If you need more help, let us know.  It would help to
have access to a sample file.

Don Murray