20050309: Some basic questions about IDV for oceanographic use

>From: "Murray Brown" <address@hidden>

Hi Murray-

>I'm taking a close look at IDV for possible use in the UNESCO/IOC marine
>data management training curriculum.  Is there anyone out there who could
>take a few minutes to discuss this with me on the telephone?

We prefer to conduct business as much as possible by e-mail as
it provides us a written document of your questions and our answers.
We can put it into our tracking system so that others may benefit.
If you feel you need to talk to someone, you can contact me through
the number below in our signature line.

>After a few experiments, some of my concerns are for memory requirements and
>bandwidth (because we teach in developing countries), but I have some more
>general issues also.

Okay.   The memory usage is going to depend on the data that you
are wanting to ingest.  For example, the sample El Nino comparison
under the Displays->Favorite Displays->Ocean menu uses little memory.
Other large oceanographic model datasets will use considerably more.

>Thanks,
>
>Murray Brown, Ph.D.
>OceanTeacher Data Management
>    Chief Editor & Training Coordinator