20050223: IDV - Reading from OPeNDAP URLs with IDV

>From: Roland Schweitzer <address@hidden>

Hi Roland-

>Thanks for the quick response.
>
>Here it is in pictures:

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. ;-)

>As you see here, the Data Source Type is set to Netcdf grid files as
>you suggested.
>
>Once the "Add source" process is completed IDV finds no fields that it
>knows how to display and no time steps in the file.
>
>When I look at the log, I see the request for the time,x and y
>dimension variables and as far as I can tell FDS thinks it has returned
>those without error.
>
>It's still possible that FDS is returning something wrong, but other
>OPeNDAP aware clients (GrADS and Ferret) can read and plot from this
>URL without any problem.

No, it's a problem with the IDV (actually the netCDF for Java
library).   It is not understanding the conventions used for
defining the georeferencing coordinate system.  I'm guessing
it's because the coordinate variables are not using standard
names like lat, lon, or alt.  The only thing that it could guess
on is the fact that the units might describe this as a lon/lat/alt
grid.  Is there any way you could have this identify itself as
a known convention type like COARDS or CF?

I was using our latest build which uses the netCDF for Java 2.2
and the problem is fixed in that.  We will be releasing the next
version IDV in mid-March which will have the fix in.

If you need something sooner, let me know.

Don