20050221: IDV - Problem in IDV: NoClassDefFoundError

>From: "Jochen Deyke" <address@hidden>

Hi-

>Institution: CHILL radar facolity
>Package Version: 1.2b1
>Operating System: os.name:SunOS; os.arch:sparc; os.version:5.8;
>Hardware Information: java.vendor:Sun Microsystems Inc.; java.version:1.5.0; j
> ava.home:/space/home/jdeyke/jdk1.5.0/jre;
>Inquiry: When trying to display a sweep of radar data from a NetCDF file, I go
> t the following error:
>
>An error has occurred:
>ControlDescriptor.Creating display
>javax/vecmath/Tuple3f
>java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/vecmath/Tuple3f
>       at ucar.visad.display.SelectorPoint.<init>(SelectorPoint.java:101)
>       at ucar.visad.display.ZSelector.init(ZSelector.java:124)
>       at ucar.visad.display.ZSelector.<init>(ZSelector.java:76)
>       at ucar.unidata.idv.control.PlanViewControl.init(PlanViewControl.java:2
> 69)
>       at ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.init(DisplayControlImpl.
> java:890)
>       at ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.init(DisplayControlImpl.
> java:765)
>       at ucar.unidata.idv.ControlDescriptor.initControl(ControlDescriptor.jav
> a:739)
>       at ucar.unidata.idv.ControlDescriptor$1.run(ControlDescriptor.java:697)
>       at ucar.unidata.util.Misc$2.run(Misc.java:1718)

The problem is that it can't find Java 3D.  Are you running through
Web Start?  If so, we have just recently encountered this problem also
and are looking into a solution.  For some reason, on SPARC systems,
Java 3D is not being downloaded or accessible from a place that
Web Start can find.

Also, please note that the IDV will not work with Java version 1.5.

A quick work around would be to install Java 1.4.2 and Java 3D locally
on your machine and point Web Start at that.  Or, use the
InstallAnywhere installer for the IDV which has both of these bundled
with it.

Don