20041202: IDV - Creating Radar Images

>From: "Greg Salottolo" <address@hidden>

Hi Greg-

>Institution: NTSB
>Package Version: 1.1
>Operating System: os.name:Windows XP; os.arch:x86; os.version:5.1;
>Hardware Information: java.vendor:Sun Microsystems Inc.; java.version:1.4.2_01
> ; java.home:C:\\Program Files\\IDV_1.1\\jre;
>Inquiry: Good Afternoon:

>When I first start IDV ver 1.1and try to create a radar image (level III) it c
> omes up
>blank. The second time it displays OK.

I have this happen to me on my windows system occassionally.  You are the
first other person to report this, so it's good to know I'm not losing
my mind. ;-)  It's been on my list of things to track down, but it
only seems to be a Windows OpenGL problem.

You can also get it to display by changing the color table.

>Also what is the best resolution to run IDV. It seems that 1400 by 1050 at 32
> bit is somewhat
>unstable. Every now and than get color spikes in the displays. 1280 by 1024 16
>  bit seems
>more stable. (Dell Latitude D600 notebook, 512MB, Radeon ATI 9000 32MB, Intel
>1.8 Ghz, runnnig the Open GL IDV version).

16-bit seems to be best.  You can also try the Direct3D version.  The spikes
seem to be more of a problem with the OpenGL implemenation of Java 3D.
In general, I would say to download the latest driver, but I tried that
last week and it hosed my machine.  Unfortunately, OpenGL and ATI don't
always play well together.  Another thing to try is to click on the
Advanced button under the Settings tab of the Display Properties dialog.
Click on the OpenGL tab.  If you see a Force 16 bit Z buffer button, click
it on (only do this if you have set it to be 16 bit mode).  Depending
on your card, you might have to click the "Compatibility Settings..."
button first to find the Force-16 bit button.

>Looking forward to 1.2 especially the aircraft track plot option.

There's been a slight delay in the release, so it won't be out until the
end of the month.

Don Murray