20041027: IDV - Out of memory error

>From: "Lori Randall" <address@hidden>

Hi Lori-

>Institution: U.S. Geological Survey
>Package Version: 1.1
>Operating System: os.name:Windows XP; os.arch:x86; os.version:5.1;
>Hardware Information: java.vendor:Sun Microsystems Inc.; java.version:1.4.2_04
> ; java.home:C:\\Programs\\Java;
>Inquiry: I am getting the following message when I try to load radial velocity
>  data data:
>An error has occurred:
>ControlDescriptor.Creating display
>java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
>
>I am running IDV on a machine with 2 GHz of RAM, so memory should not be a pro
> blem.
>The error occurs when I load as few as five time points. The memory line in th
> e lower
>left corner shows that the program is using a percentage of 532.74 MB. We have
>  tried to
>increase the available memory via commands in Java, but have been unsuccessful
> .

What type of display are you trying to show?  If you are trying an isosurface
or volume display, I could understand this.  The computations for that using
radar data are intense.  We will be working on improving the performance
for these radar displays in the future.  For now, I would stick to
sweep, CAPPI and RHI displays.

You can increase the amount of memory allotted to the IDV by modifying
the runIDV script.  Change any occurance of -Xmx512m to -Xmx1024m.

Don Murray