Re: IDV install for Mac?

Hi Don,

> One suggestion: you might want to state the total size of the download
> on the WebStart instructions page. It was a little bigger than I'd
> expected ;-) Also, does some usable test data come with that install?
> It looked like it might, but I haven't located it yet. And how do you
> fire the app off once you're disconnected from the net?

One problem with using Web Start to start the IDV is that you probably
missed the instructions on "Downloading and Running the IDV" in the
User's Guide:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/idv/docs/userguide/Starting.html

There you'll find it takes about 70 Mbytes of disk space.  It's also
possible to have a double-clickable IDV icon on your desktop to start
it up, but I think only got that when I use the InstallAnywhere
installer.  Sorry, but I can't remember how I got that
double-clickable icon, but when I get info on it, it says it's an
Application (which on Mac OS X means it's a folder named 'Integrated
Data Viewer.app') of size 108 KB.

To connect to data sources, just follow the instructions in the "Data
Sources and Formats" section of the User's Guide:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/idv/docs/userguide/data/DataSources.html

You can also get data from local files if it's in netCDF form that
follows the conventions supported by the IDV (COARDS, CF, or NUWG),
but one of the IDV's strengths is its ability to access remote data,
including small subsets of large datasets on remote servers.  So for
ADDE data, for example, you have to be connected to a server.

By the way, there's currently a workshop for IDV going on that you
can access via a webcast:

To participate, you will need the latest version of RealPlayer. The
webcast is available here:

  http://webcast.unidata.ucar.edu/ramgen/broadcast/workshop/workshop.rm

--Russ