20041008: IDV 1.1 Isosurface display doesn't like packed variables

>From: Rich Signell <address@hidden>

Hi Rich-

>I think the 3D Isosurface display does not work with
>"packed" variables(short integers w/ scale_factor,
>add_offset attributes). It dies with:
>
>ControlDescriptor.Creating display Real.getValue:
>illegal Unit conversion

The problem is not that it is a packed variable, but that it
purports to conform to the CF 1.0 convention but does not
specify the unit of temperature variable.  If you look at
section 3.1 of the CF conventions, all dimensional quantities
are required to have a units attribute.

That being said, we should handle this more gracefully in the
IDV.  I don't have a quick fix, other than to rewrite your
netCDF file with units. ;-)

>Several other displays I have tried work fine with
>packed variables, however.

I'm trying to figure out why, but we should make the isosurface
behave similarly.  I'll look into this for the next release.

>Attached is a sample netcdf file and bundle.

Thanks for both, that helps a lot in the debugging.

Don