20040923: IDV - Plotting point and IDV1.1 problems

>From: "Petty Kevin" <address@hidden>

Hi Kevin-

>Attached are the same aircraft track data files in NetCDF format.=20

Thanks.

>I do have another request. I'm very interested in the ability to view a =
>vertical cross section of data along a flight track. For example, right =
>now there is the capability of creating a RHI display in IDV. Instead of =
>a display that shows data along a straight line originating from the =
>radar, it would be beneficial to see these data along an aircraft flight =
>track.

This is on our TODO list.  Figuring out what points in a 3D
radar file which is in range, azimuth and elevation are on
a lat/lon/alt line is a challenge.  Regridding the entire volume
is an option, but expensive.

>Another example of this is the cross section display ability =
>associated with model data, but again, this is along a straight line. =
>This would really help us get a clear 3D picture in some of our cases.

Okay.

>Another thing that I would like to see is the ability to import and =
>display local Level III radar data files (much like Level II data). I =
>sometimes acquire Level III files from NCDC =
>(http://has.ncdc.noaa.gov/plclimprod/plsql/HAS.DsSelect), but I use =
>Gempak/N-AWIPS to display these files.

It's not on the TODO list, but in the back of my mind always.  There's
only 2 of us and it's just a matter of finding the time to add in a
new data source.

>Thanks for considering some of these suggestions. I understand if some =
>of this is not feasible.=20

Like I said, it doesn't hurt to ask (and I can't promise anything).

One thing we are working on for the next release is an improved drawing
control that will let you annotate the displays (text, lines, images,
and eventually fronts).  The shapes can be time dependent so they
will show up on particular frames in the animation.  This might
be useful in your work.

Don Murray